Now that the sun is (finally) shining and the holidays are looming you are probably in need of some outdoor garden games to keep the family from shouting that old phrase ‘I’m bored’! The back garden or the local park offers free entertainment that certainly doesn’t break the bank of mum and dad.
Here are our low cost, high fun ways to keep the children entertained this Summer.
- Use some garden chalks to make up a hopscotch in the back garden. Hopscotch is a great jumping game to work on balance. Using numbers will also help pre-schoolers with their counting.
- Setting up an obstacle course keeps children busy for hours. Once they have mastered the course they can time themselves and set each other challenges.
- Cricket or bat and ball in the garden. This will really help develop hand eye coordination for all players.
- Build a garden den. Grab some old sheets, pegs and garden canes. Can you make a tepee? Add some cushions for comfort. This is great for team work and problem solving. Once made have a picnic in the Teepee.
- Scavenger hunts are fun. Print off a list of things to find in the garden or park, include pinecones and specific flowers. This is good for identifying nature’s finest products.
What else do your children like doing in the garden?